What Does a DUI Attorney Do?
Posted in General on October 14, 2022
If you have gotten a DUI, you may be questioning if you need to hire an attorney. Many people in your position choose to get a lawyer because they want somebody with the experience necessary to help them through this difficult time. With their specialized knowledge of the law, So what exactly does a DUI attorney do?
DUI lawyers are highly qualified and trained specialists who specialize in defending drivers accused of DUI. These legal experts are technically criminal defense attorneys with specialized training and experience in cases involving motorists who have been charged with DUI. These professionals in their field are well-versed in the intricacies of each state’s DUI laws. In a nutshell, a DUI attorney acts as an advocate for his or her client, assisting them in understanding the charges they face, determining a legal strategy, handling any administrative tasks connected with the case, and appearing in court on behalf of their client.
What Can I Expect From a DUI Attorney?
Most people who are arrested for DUI hire an attorney to help them because they want someone with the skill and knowledge to protect their freedoms. If you’re debating whether or not to get a lawyer, consider why most clients choose representation.
- Negotiations with prosecutors. Because attorneys have years of experience dealing with prosecutors, they are able to find alternatives to jail time and make plea bargains that aren’t as harsh on offenders. If a person tries to represent themselves in court, the prosecutor will likely not offer any leniency.
- One of the many things a DUI attorney does is make sure all motions and requests are filed on time; if they’re not, it may limit what the defendant can request.
- Knowledge of the local court system is advantageous. Many DUI offenders have little or no familiarity with their local court system and are afraid of facing hearings and courtroom procedures alone.
- This is a useful tool when you’re trying to determine when it’s acceptable to speak and when it’s not. DUI lawyers are aware of such things. They can also advise clients on taking the stand in their own defense, which might be disastrous if they are cross-examined by the prosecution.
- Getting a DUI conviction erased. A DUI conviction may have long-term consequences for employment and even credit. A DUI attorney may assist you in having your record cleared so that it has a less detrimental influence on your future prospects. Getting a conviction expunged might be time-consuming, but an experienced lawyer knows how to swiftly accomplish it.
DUI convictions have harsh punishments that can greatly affect your life, making choosing a knowledgeable DUI attorney crucial if you find yourself facing charges.
Are you looking for a defense attorney in Rhode Island?
We take the time to ensure that you understand all of your legal concerns, risks, and consequences in depth. This begins with your free consultation with us. Stefanie Murphy has spent years as a prosecutor and understands how law enforcement builds cases and prosecutes them. As a result, she is able to anticipate the prosecution’s next steps and devise plans for ensuring her clients’ best possible outcome.